Satellite
Show on map
  • Local Walk 6 - Magog Down and Wandlebury

    March 12, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    We arrive at Magog Down; this and Wandlebury are part of a range of low chalk hills in the area southeast of Cambridge (the Gog Magog).

    In the case of the Magog Down, land was purchased from a local farmer and returned to chalk grassland for the public to enjoy; it is a popular walking site and has a car park - one can see the chalk base in parts and there are views of both Addenbrooke's Hospital and King's College Chapel from here.

    Over the busy A1307 to Wandlebury Hill and the Wandlebury Country Park; this is managed by Cambridge Past, Present & Future - it is a beautiful countryside estate with miles of walks through woodland and meadows grazed by Highland Cattle. Wandlebury was originally the site of an Iron Age Hillfort; only the outer ditch ramparts are there now (the Ring Ditch) and it is within this that subsequent building took place. This included Lord Godolphin's 18th century estate of Wandlebury House, but only the stable block (with its characteristic cupola) remains now. Nearby is The Tadlow Granary; this was originally built locally in the 15th century, moved here in the 18th and its restoration completed in the 20th (1981).

    We follow nature trails, look at the Highland Cattle, stop at the view point for Ely Cathedral (visible only on a clear day, as it is 17 miles away) and see part of the old Roman Road that passed close to here (the Via Devana) before returning to Magog Down. A very pleasant way to spend the morning.
    Read more