Satellite
  • Day 255

    8. West Bay

    June 23, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    West Bay, also known as Bridport Harbour, is situated 1.5 miles south of Bridport at the mouth of the River Brit. It is a small town that developed as a result of rope and net trade from Bridport, but this declined and it then developed as a resort due to the (now disused) railway station there. It forms the western end of Chesil Beach which extends from Portland Bill 18 miles to the east and is famed for its towering, crumbling, golden cliffs - it was been used as the location for the TV series "Broadchuch" (which is excellent).

    We are staying in an apartment here and, after exploring the attractive town (harbour and harbour walls, church etc) set off on a circular walk to nearby Burton Bradstock. We skirt the Bridport and West Dorset Golf Couse and a static caravan / camping site (there are several of these in the area) to reach Burton, before heading down to Hive Beach for lunch. We walk back along the top of Burton Cliffs, then via Burton Freshwater (where the small River Bride meets the sea) and finally along the top of East Cliff back to West Bay to enjoy some local beer (Palmers, which is brewed in Bridport).
    Read more