Satellite
Show on map
  • The Cambs Dykes 1 - Bran and Brent

    August 6, 2021 in England ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    There is a series of four defensive dykes that crossed the old Icknield Way - a pre-Roman path, often claimed as the oldest in England - that were built by the Anglo Saxons during the 5th - 7th centuries AD. Each comprise a substantial earthworks with a high bank and a ditch on its southwest side, and they run across the chalk downland ridge that carries the Icknield Way; they cross the South Cambridgeshire chalk plain from the springline and wetlands to the north to the junction of the chalk and boulder clay on the higher ground to the south. These monuments, generally referred to as The Cambridgeshire Dykes, increase considerably in scale from Bran Ditch to the west to Devils Dyke in the east, with Brent Ditch and Fleam Dyke in between; all are protected scheduled monuments. It is believed that these earthworks were designed both as defensive structure and as a means controlling trade along the ancient Roman roads that crossed the dyke (including the Icknield Way).

    This post covers the first two - Bran Ditch and Brent Ditch

    Bran Ditch (aka Heydon Ditch) begins on the outskirts of Heydon Village and it is now part of both the Harcamlow Way and Icknield Way walks; it extends as far as Heydon Grange Golf Club before these two modern routes turn west. Bran Ditch originally extended for approx. 3 miles from Heydon to Black Peak at the south end of Fowlmere RSPB Nature Reserve, but only a short section along part of these modern walking routes has not been lost to agricultural reforms etc - I walked it from Heydon down to Gravelpit Plantation on the outskirts of the Heydon Golf Club.

    Brent Ditch was built around the 6th and 7th Centuries and, unfortunately, most of its structure has also been lost over time. It was originally approx. 1 mile in length and now runs from Pampisford Hall in the North-West to Abington in the South-East; for most of its length it is wooded and on private land and so difficult to access - I viewed it as a low ditch in a wooded area besides the A11.
    Read more