Satellite
Show on map
  • The Cambs Dykes 2 - Fleam Dyke

    August 7, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Fleam Dyke is the oldest of the four Cambridgeshire Dykes and comprised a 7 metre-high linear earthwork bank and ditch that ran from Fulbourn up to Balsham; thought to have been built in the seventh century as a defence of the Kingdom of East Anglia in its wars with Mercia, most survives now as a footpath that is now part of the Harcamlow Way (a walking route running in a figure-of-eight from Harlow to Cambridge and back again).

    Parking in Fulbourn, we soon reach the start of Fleam Dyke, walk its top and enjoying good views of the wind turbines at Wadlow Wind Farm site in West Wratting, near Balsham. The Fleam Dyke pumping station, now redundant, is ahead; there are good views of the dyke and ditch looking back to this. Crossing the disused railway line, we eventually reach a circular mound of earth - the Mutlow Hill Bronze Age Barrow; dating from 4,000 BC, this old shrine was used as a meeting place in the medieval period. We now have to cross the A11 using a footbridge and our guide map draws our attention to the Juniper Trees on the dyke on this side - they are the last nine wild Juniper trees in the whole of East Anglia! We walk down from Fleam Dyke to cross the Bedford Gap before walking up it again to continue south east into wooded land, as trees cover both sides of Fleam Dyke from here on. Our route takes us through Dungate Farm and then ascends, still through trees, to The Ambush (a local name with no historic meeting) to the end of Fleam Dyke near the Balsham ridge; the Harcamlow Way continues or you can take the path to the village of Balsham. We double back and do the walk in reverse to return to the car.

    Walking the length of Fleam Dyke did not disappoint, as it is a good and interesting walk.
    Read more