Satellite
Show on map
  • Barkway and Reed Circular

    January 3, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Barkway is an ancient village in the north corner of Hertfordshire and was listed in the Domesday Book (1086); there are many old properties along the High Street, which was part of the old London to Cambridge coaching route - as commemorated by an old Milestone and a Wagon Wash for coach wheels.  There has been a church here for over 1,000 years and the current iteration, St. Mary Magdalene Church, is made of flint and stone.

    After the 9 mile drive from Duxford, we park along the High Street, have a look round the sites of the village and then head out via Gas Lane to start the walk.  We pass the southern edge of Earl's Wood and then across fields to a line of trees; here we divert down to the small village of Nuthampstead to see the Memorial Monument dedicated to the 398th Bomb Group outside The Woodman Inn; there was a small airfield and RAF station here during WWII.  After doubling back to our route, we walk past the northern edge of Earl's Wood; further along, from the path back to Barkway High Street, we have views of the large Cokenach Estate - this now has a local cricket club established on its grounds.  

    We cross the High Street and follow the road for a short while before continuing along the path to Periwinkle Hill; we are not far from the RAF Barkway Mast, a reminder of the vital geographic and strategic location that Barkway once was.  We soon reach the small village of Reed.  The beautiful old pub there which I have visited, The Cabinet, is now in danger of being lost and part of it is being used as a small “bar, restaurant and takeaway” with the name of The Spice Cabinet..... We have a view of St Mary's Church as we leave the village, following the signs for The Hertfordshire Way back to Barkway and the end of an excellent walk.
    Read more