Satellite
Show on map
  • Skipton; Castle and Woods

    August 13, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Skipton Castle was originally built as a motte and bailey castle by the Normans in 1091; the cliffs behind drop down to Eller Beck and woodland behind it, making for a good strategic position. It was passed to and renovated by the Clifford family in 1310 and is one of the best preserved and complete medieval castles in England.

    During our visit, there was a 1635 household reenactment going on over the weekend; it was interestto hear how things were done then by chatting to the serving staff, the cook the physcian, and the musicians in some of the places our tour map took us from the main gates. These included Lady Anne's Steps, the Conduit Court, the Kitchen, the Banqueting Hall, the Withdrawing Room, the Lord's Day room , the Watchtower, the muniment room, the curing room. It was a good visit!

    We then walked through Skipton Castle Woods, part of the landscape for 1,000 years, and very much a part of Skipton, industrial heritage. In the 18th century, Eller Brook was dammed so as to provide water for the Mills of the town; it was also fed into the Spings Canal to provide water for the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The walk took us past the Round Dam and the Long Dam and then back over Moorland to the town.
    Read more