Satellite
Show on map
  • Wharfedale; Burnsall and Linton walk

    August 15, 2023 in England ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    This is Walk 13 in our booklet of "Yorkshire Dales Outstanding Circular Walks," and we start at the pretty village of Burnsall.

    From the Burnsall Bridge, we follow the Dales Walk along the River Wharfe paat Loup Scar, a limestone gorge on the river, and cross over the Hebden Suspension Bridge (1895). We follow the riverside path and turn off towards Linton, with a good view of the squat Linton Church of St Michael and All Angels. Reaching Linton, we cross the bridge over the Linton Falls, a natural limestone waterfall. Linton Beck joins the River Wharfe here, and we see Little Emily's Bridge, an old Packhorse bridge. Linton is very pretty, with a village green and a pub; this part of the village is dominated by the Fountaine Hospital, a 1721 almshouse.

    We leave Linton via a footpath across Moorland and then follow a single track lane to the small village of Thorpe and its Manor House and then take another path over undulating fields back to Burnsall.

    It has been a good, not overly challenging, 7.75-mile walk in pleasant weather with some lovely views. Things could be worse!
    Read more