Satellite
Show on map
  • Cambourne and neighbouring villages

    March 20 in England ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Cambourne is the largest town within the South Cambridgeshire district, comprising the villages of Lower, Great, Upper, and West Cambourne.  It is a new town, and construction began in June 1998 on what was previously the land of Monkfield Farm, with Upper Cambourne completed in 2016. In January 2017, outline planning consent was granted for a further 2,350 homes to the west of Lower Cambourne.  The name of the community was created from the names of Cambridge, the nearest city, and Bourn, a nearby village; the local area is interesting, with some good walks - this post is a compilation from two of them.

    We start off from Cambourne, up to the local nature reserve and pass by couple of small lakes (see picture captions) enroute towards Bourn, but not into the village itself; we visit the local landmark that is Bourn Mill, which dates from 1636 and has been recently restored (thanks to the Cambridge Past, Present and Future organisation).  Another nearby village is Eltisley, which has a large village green and an interesting church with a lychgate (a covered gateway found at the entrance to a traditional English or English-style churchyard).  We then walk to Cambourne via the village of Caxton; note that Caxton Gibbet (now a replica of the original) is a long way outside of Caxton itself, on small knoll on Ermine Street (now the A1198) - the original was reputed to be a gruesome example of the cage variation of the gibbet, into which live victims were allegedly placed until they died from starvation, dehydration or exposure!

    It has been an interesting couple of walks, and there is more to the Cambourne area than I originally thought.
    Read more