Satellite
  • Day 31

    The Other Half

    June 15, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    For the last leg of this trip we decided to absolutely spoil ourselves and spend our three days in Bangkok living like the other half.

    Brenda booked us into the club floor of the five star Aetas Hotel and I can't begin to describe how impressed I am.

    We had to leave our Chiang Mai hotel at 9:00 to be at the airport well in advance of our 10:55 flight. We were up at 6:30, showered, packed and broke fast on the last of our mangoes.Unfortunately, our plane ended up leaving ninety minutes behind schedule and, by the time we got through Friday afternoon traffic, we didn't arrive at the Aetas in Bangkok until 3:45.

    When we arrived at reception we were escorted up to the private check-in desk in the club lounge on the 24th floor, where we were greeted with a welcome cocktail with a butterfly pea flower base (I almost wrote butterfly pea, but that could be misinterpreted). The drink was a deep indigo colour, but we were instructed to pour in the lime juice that accompanied it and it magically turned to a purple that Prince would have approved.

    We were informed told that we had just missed the complimentary afternoon tea service that ended at 3:30, but were invited to help ourselves to the fresh fruit and cookies that were on display. Also included in the room price is the contents of the room's mini-bar, full or Continental breakfast each morning and evening cocktails and canapes from 6:00 to 8:00.

    As an added bonus, we were upgraded from the deluxe double room to a suite!

    We were then led to our room on the 18th floor that is quite literally bigger than our home in Vancouver and also has an additional half bathroom off the living room. There are lots of English channels on the TV, lovely plush towels, free laundry and fast, unlimited internet (our last hotel allowed us to use only one device at a time!).

    As I said in my previous post, we may not set foot outside for the next three days.
    Read more