Satellite
  • Day 247

    Finally to Milford Sound

    December 10, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We didn’t think we would make it here due to time restrictions. However having hot footed it down the West Coast and a cancelled excursion (more below) we managed to get there.. although it felt at times that someone didn’t want us to!

    I twisted Stuart’s arm to take the scenic (long) route from Westport to Greymouth, and I was so glad that I did! Windy roads snaked around the wild and wonderful coastline. Cloudless sky soon turned to a moody lord of the rings backdrop. We could see the rain sheeting towards us.

    When we arrived at the campsite near Franz Josef, where we intended to do a Heli-hike to see the glacier, we couldn’t see the kitchen let alone the mountains.

    The next morning brought no improvement so heli-hike cancelled we saw a window of opportunity to reach Milford Sound.

    Stopping at Bruce’s Bay for a coffee and photo-opp a man approached and told us of a mudslide down the road. The cheery coffee girl said it was a usual occurrence and should be cleared in no time.

    3 muslides and a 4 hour wait later - spent having lunch at a salmon farm (only cafe en route) with 2 nice ladies from New York (they had no choice as they were the only seats free) - we were on our way.

    Getting late we stopped at a Department of Conservation campsite next to the beautiful Lake Wanaka, despite Stuart’s protests. It had no facilities and no phone signal. “It’s cheap” I said.. “there’s no phone signal” he said.. “it’ll be fun” I said.. “there’s no phone signal” he said.. “it’ll be an adventure” I said.. “there’s no phone signal” he said..
    Roll on the next morning and the van won’t start “there’s no phone signal” he said..

    Cue a 45 minute walk to get phone signal, a ride hitched from a kind Austrian Ski instructor and an hours wait for the AA.

    All pumped up on the ‘adventure’, Stuart said “screw it, We’re going to Milford Sound!” And off we drove as fast - not very - as the van could carry us. The drive was
    Incredible! Valleys filled with wild flowers, lakes, creeks, snow covered mountains and more waterfalls than you could shake a stick at!

    Arriving at Milford Sound into more pouring rain, we camped for the night before going on a boat tour. Best boat tour ever! We saw seals, visited a floating underwater observatory, got soaked under a waterfall and even got a free picnic!

    Then we drove back up not stopping, as we dared not.. just in case!
    Read more