Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Copenhagen Day Tour - Part 3

    May 3, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Copenhagen 3/5
    Fredericksborg Palace https://hamlettours.com/frederiksborg-palace/ was the third stop but we all had lunch first at a tour-recommended restaurant, very quick service, great food and a discount for the group. Had a short walk to the palace then wound out way through a couple of gatehouses, huge courtyard and to the palace itself, most of which was rebuilt in the mid-1800s following a disastrous fire. However, the beautiful church was intact, it dates back to the early 1600s and is still in use – what an amazing place to get married. There are hundreds of coats of arms around the walls, a little bit of stained glass, a really lovely silvery altar and the organ is a fairly well-worn wooden box built in 1610 but at the other end of the church are the 1001 wooden pipes made of different types of exotic woods and beautifully decorated.

    We went into the enormous ballroom where Ellie had a ‘ball’ dancing from one side to the other, and all the walls are covered in tapestries. One more room has a long entrance hall that’s Wedgewood blue and white plasterwork on the ceiling, windows on both sides and overlooks the gardens and lake. Y

    ou would need a day here to take it all in, and what a view the houses on the other side of the lake must have, looking back at the palace. We wound our way through room after room of paintings of people – don’t you love the harassed-looking man and the woman with the taped-up mouth? Another had a display of miniatures and various orders/decorations worn by the royal family, one recurring seems to be the Order of the Elephant though I couldn't see a full explanation of the significance but here's one example. There were a few rooms set up, all very luxurious, but the bedroom really took my fancy – small bed but lots of bling. You also had to look upwards because some of the ceilings were very detailed and had beautiful colours.

    The family had gone through more quickly than the grandparents, they had time for an icecream before our pick-up time. We strolled to the exit past a bunch of staff members about five meters from the ‘no smoking sign’ on the gatehouse. And we saw lots of ducks in the water and one on a nest, just like the one in Delft.
    Read more