Satellite
  • Day 187

    Birthday child.

    July 29, 2020 in Vatican City ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Today it's my daughter's birthday.
    And it is a promising day.
    Although we started with a ly-in and a easy breakfast, we were in the city of Rome around 10.00.
    And already choking hot. The plan was to go and see if we could visit the Colloseum.
    We got out of the train at the Roma Ostiense, and took a walk. Had a glimpse of the Therme di Caracalla, and the San Saba neighbourhood. At the Circus Maxima, we took the right turn to the Colloseum.
    We cancelled our visit, the heat and the thought of standing in the burning sun was not appealing.
    We skipped that dance.
    Turned around and I had a nice idea of visiting a secret.. but as we passed a nice coffee bar, we could not resist. Coffee for me, a orange juice for the lady. And of course a brownie with cream.
    It's a birthday!
    After this rest, we could feel our feet and legs. The 20km of yesterday are not worn of by the night.
    We arrived at the secret, well known to everyone.. but. It was closed. The cleaner who was working there let us in anyway. Maybe he could see we were in despair..

    The mouth of truth; Bocca Della Verità.
    It's situated at the entrance of a church, and as we were true tourists, we took a peek at it also.
    What a gems this city hides.
    We also wanted to see Isola Tiberina and so walked over Ponte Fabricio.
    As we had an appointment with the Pope's treasures at 17.00h, we walked into the direction of the Vatican city.
    But humans need food to go on. So stopped at a nice restaurant for lunch. It turned out to be spaghetti.
    We arrived at the appointment a small hour early. So we sat down on the stairs of Via de Tunis, I had a little nap, and Nika fed the pidgeons. Made a whatsapp call to Renata, and as we were showing her the neighbourhood, it was time for the Musei Vaticani.
    Maybe we did not plan this very well, as it was HUGE!.. What a rich collection of all you could want to see. It is truly a place full treasures. And all in almost perfect condition. We did not see all. We did not have time.
    And in a way.. I came for the Sixtine Chapel.
    So in a way, we ooh't and ahh't through the never ending hallways into the direction of our goal.
    Was it a disappointment? No. I think you have to see this. Once in your life. But take your time to see the other art. Maybe those are even more important or rare than the work of Michelangelo.
    Sadly in the Chapel there was a bunch of copyright policeman, so don't try to take pictures.
    Out into the field, have a rest and a coffee, we left. Tired and satisfied.
    On the end of our day, we took the time for an big tasty ice cream. As diner!
    Train, walk, shower..sleep.
    Tomorrow (today) we leave for the city of Grosseto. Half way up to Pisa.
    But the heat.. It's almost unbearable..
    Read more