Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Red Cliffs and Zion

    June 4, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Heading north out of Vegas our first stop was at a little state park called Red Cliffs and it really did live up to its name. Amazing red rock cliffs rise up either side of a very dry river bed. Just next to the parking lot is a fossilised Dinosaurs foot print embedded in the rock, not a big T-Rex but still pretty cool to see it.

    We spent the night back in the van in a campsite just south of the Zion National Park. This campsite is a lot busier than the first one we slept in and we can see from up close the bus size motorhome that we drive past on the road. The winner of the day is a motorhome that tows a pickup truck that has a buggy on top of it! 🚍🛻🚙
    Zion is a really well organised park that stretches up through the Zion Canyon, lots of well maintained trails and a shuttle bus to ferry everyone up to the trail heads and limit the impact of the Cars.

    The following day we started with the middle and lower emerald pool walks, slightly underwhelming, the water was green with algae rather than natural minerals but the scenery was outstanding. Onwards to the main event, the Narrows. A trail which leads straight up the Virgin river, sometimes up to waist deep as you move through the Canyon, sometimes over 100 meters of sheer cliff on either side. Really a natural wonder and phenomenal to see, even the view from our campsite is pretty spectacular, I don't think we'll ever tire of the desert mountains.
    Read more