Satellite
  • Day 6

    Arequipa Peru

    August 6, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We took a night bus from Nazca to come on our first altitude-important part of the trip and it was the best night bus ride ever (aside from a tonto luggage and ticket handler).

    We choose not to skimp and got the equivalent of first class 160, degrees seats, that means they almost fully recline into a bed and they were REALLY comfortable. Pasquale and Rosy feel asleep almost immediately tired from the day, I watched a bit of Spanish-dubbed start wars (the latest) which helped refresh my star-wars-related-vocabulary then gazed at the most fantastic starry night through the window and finally feel asleep.

    Pasquale was the first to wake up in the morning and saw landscapes "out of this world", moon-like desert fields and rock formations and more. Then breakfast on the bus, a little more Spanish star wars and we finally arrived. A short taxi ride took us to the wonderful hotel with terrace, antique features and very Inca/Peruvian feel (with style though).

    Once we started visiting Arequipa, the second largest city in Peru, we felt much more like the journey through this country was taking shape, more of what we expected the people and surrounding to be like. We booked the canyon tour for tomorrow to be sure not to miss it then set of for our now-typical walk through town and photo taking.

    When we arrived this morning we all had to some extent some altitude sickness, it is 2800m above the sea and it takes some getting used to. The medicines helped and we're taking it easy - had a nice lunch with a super lazy waiter serving us on a roof terrace in the colourful plaza de armes - took forever but for was good.

    Chased the sunset and took some pics of the volcano in sun setting light, visited some markets and got some presents for friends (won't spoil surprises though).

    Now back at the hotel for a quick rest then off to an amazing and sophisticated restaurant (chef is known throughout Peru for his cusine) - we're getting picked up at 3 am for the start of the trek but we might squeeze in a little club night - no rest for the wicked!! 😉😂

    Can't wait for the Colca canyon tomorrow, will tell you all about it.
    Read more