Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Ending in Escanaba

    July 26, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    The time has come for my ride to end.

    I made it with Richard to Escanaba, Michigan on the west shore Little Bay de Noc, a bay on the west side of Lake Michigan.

    It’s been an awesome experience, challenging and beautiful over about 2,500 miles. Richard has been a great traveling companion, with a sharp wit and a generous sprit. Bonnie supported making this trip a reality, and a whole batch of family and friends have been so encouraging. Matt Muniz provided lots of technical support, tapping into his own riding experience.

    I stopped riding because I wasn’t getting enough food calories to match the daily demands of riding, creating too much weight loss to the point of being a health risk. So, it’s time to stop.

    I’ll miss Richard’s company. We saw so much from the road, pedaling along at about 8 to 15 miles an hour and meeting people along the way:
    - Plants passing by slowly while I gaze from different angles.
    - Bird song and plumage
    - A motel owner who re-welded rack supports back onto Richard’s frame after they sheared off. Cuz doesn’t everyone keep a wire feed welder handy just in case?
    - So many different people who were friendly.
    - Sitting beside rivers, peacefully enjoying their beauty. Camping frequently placed us beside some beautiful streams, rivers and lakes.
    - The humble beginnngs of the Mississippi River in Minnesota, and crossing it over and over as it winds eastward.
    - Deer leaping alongside the road and bounding along as they try to get away from us on our bikes nearby.
    - A marvelous variety of butterflies in each of the 8 states we visited.
    - The sound of my tires whirring along on good pavement with a tailwind.

    Thank you for following this journey. It’s been awesome!
    Read more