Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    WOW!!!

    October 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    The Alhambra is AMAZING!

    I expected to see lots of waterworks, but I didn’t know about the ornate palaces.

    Suzie found us an an Air BnB within walking distance of the Alhambra and it’s supporting neighborhood of shops and restaurants.

    We took a leisurely self guided audio tour of the Alhambra palaces and gardens. Both are AMAZING! The ornamentation of the Alhambra’s walls is spectacular. Many of the walls are covered in plaster with intricately woven bas-relief shapes of intricate lines, or Arabic phrases or a plant-based shape, but no images of animals or people. Wainscots are often covered in delicately crafted tiles fashioned with pincers from larger tile panels. The variety of tile patterns was very surprising, I kept seeing a new pattern around each corner.

    For dinner, we picked up several empanadas and some baklava from shop down the block in our neighborhood and enjoyed them on our rooftop patio. Very tasty and restorative after a long day.

    We got our near-daily fix of gelato at another neighborhood shop and enjoyed it beside the stream at the scenic base of the Alhambra’s hillside.

    Next, we fly to Barcelona, where I’m very excited to see amazing sites. Candidly, for now , I’m still in the afterglow of the amazing, stunning Alhambra!
    Read more