Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Guggenheim

    October 21, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We got to Bilbao on Saturday in time to visit the Guggenheim. This is an anniversary for the museum so admission was free, so we popped in for a preview. There were few works on display in the large galleries. We saw Picasso sculptures and a light box, a Jeff Koons sculpture in glass.

    The art was mostly modern. My favorite piece was the mostly black painting in the photos. Pay attention to both photos. I just looked at them at dinner and laughed out loud in the restaurant where we are having dinner. I generally love art, and support displaying art that I don’t understand. AND, the Guggenheim proved my point …. TO ME! Not all art resonates with all humans.

    As a result, we saw the whole Guggenheim in a shorter time than we expected, and for free (which was a nice break because Vueljng charged us 120 Euros to gate check our carry on bags, which is on par with their reputation for chicanery).

    The Guggenheim is said to have brought new life to Bilbao in these times where a significant amount of industrial jobs have moved to other countries. It’s impact on Bilbao is obvious, with lots of shops and restaurants located near the museum in a neighborhood that was previously industrial.

    We had a delicious variety of empanadas for dinner, definitely a go-to treat.
    Read more