Satellite
  • Day 132

    Last day in Guatemala

    January 17, 2020 in Guatemala ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Our last day in Guatemala already... What a beautiful country with super friendly people! Last night, we decided to change our route a little because we got an invite from Jairo to stay at his house in Asuncion Mita. We were going to cross the border to El Salvador at a place closer to the coast, but as we enjoy staying with locals, we are now just crossing at San Cristóbal.
    In the morning, the road was rolling again for the first few km. Then, it went just uphill and was in a pretty bad shape. So it took us quite some time until we got to our highest point of today of about 1550m.
    However, once we got to the top, we were also delighted to see and feel that they had recently built a new road with perfectly smooth asphalt. So the rest of the day was easy cycling. We stopped at Monjas for our lunchbreak and continued via the "Colonial and Volvano Route". We enjoyed the downhill riding and the views.
    The last 20km we rode on the "real" Pan-American Highway. The road was much more busy and every kilometer there was an Auto Hotel. You can rent hotelrooms per hour to take a "power nap" 😉
    When we got to Asunción Mita, we heard that there was a parade scheduled for the night. So we went to the main square to see the pilgrims from Esquipulas (another village close to the border to Honduras) on horses and the mariachis. Apparently, they have been coming every year for the last 100 years, so there's always a little festival at that time of the year.
    Our day ended with an amazing dinner that Jairo cooked for us. Best tacos and tortas we've ever had. How lucky are we to stay with someone who runs a little restaurant?? !!
    Read more