Satellite
  • Day 62

    Phuket, Thailand

    July 14, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    We made it to Thailand! First stop was the wild island of Phuket. We stayed on the famous Patong beach - full of bars, massage parlors, and lady boys. We spent our first day exploring the town, watching tourists parasail from the beach, and gawked at sunburnt old fat men walking hand and hand with beautiful Thai girls. We are definitely back on the tourist trail. In the evening, I researched a reputable massage parlor and Andreas and I both got amazing massages for cheap. I got a Thai massage (a combination of stretching and deep tissue) and Andreas got a relaxing oil massage.

    The second day we rented a scooter and took it all around the island. Scooters are a great way to see the sights. I have not yet driven one and I don't think I want to with all the crazy drivers. Andreas' mountain biking skills really shine weaving around cars and obstacles. I totally trust Andreas and his driving but I can't help being on high alert the entire ride, letting out the occasional "WATCH OUT!", "SLOW DOWN!", or just a general scream. We spent a few hours swimming at a remote beach and then visited the 45m tall Big Buddha statue! While at the Big Buddha, we escaped the heat by attempting to meditate in its presence with a number of tourists and locals. It was a very relaxing and special experience.

    When we exited the Buddha we noticed the sky getting darker. When we started riding away we began to feel a strong wind that almost blew us over. Time to put the pack cover on. Then the rains came and Andreas and I were soaked! We made it to a cafe in Phuket city and waited out the rain. When it finally stopped we headed back to our hotel. Except that was back over the hill into the storm. Suddenly the skies opened and full monsoon rains pelted us so hard it stung. Andreas and I pushed on and arrived back at our hotel soaked through... quite the adventure. Next stop Ko Phi Phi.
    Read more