Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Cinque Terre

    April 28, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Cinque Terre, which means Five Lands, are centuries-old fishing villages that are nestled along the Italian Riviera. I’m sure you have seen some photos of these villages before – pastel-coloured houses perched on terraces built into the steep, hilly landscapes.

    We took a train from La Spezia, which is the main town in the area. Our aim was to trek from one fishing village to another. The coastal walking trails between the closest three villages, Riomaggiore, Manarola and Corniglia were closed so we decided to go against the flow of traffic and start at the last of these 5 villages.

    We hopped off the train at Monterosso. It was overcast and cold, definitely not what we were hoping for. The clouds made the ocean look grey and uninviting. There was a small beach right across from the train station that we are guessing would come alive in summer. We’ve arrived in the shoulder season which means cooler temperatures and fewer tourists. It has suited us just fine so far.

    After a big bowl of pasta at a nearby restaurant, we were ready to start our walk to the next fishing village, Vernazza. This village has probably been the most photographed out of the five villages. You will see Flora’s attempt at replicating that famous image below. This trail was surprisingly pretty challenging, maybe it’s because we were both so unfit. The walking trail was narrow in most parts. It took us immediately on an ascent to the top of the hill. We’re both not walkers. If there is a trail, it is a challenge to see how quickly we can get to the end of it. This meant shimmying around slower walkers or people coming from the other direction. Generally, most people get annoyed at us tail-gating them and they let us pass. Yes, we’re one of those annoying people.

    There was no running involved as the possibility of falling off a cliff was fairly high. We got to Vernazza in 90 mins. During this time, the sun had come out and it was gloriously warm. It would be a crime to not stop in some places to take in the view. In a distance, we could see the colourful houses of Vernazza. Though not as vibrant as some photoshopped images would have you believe, it is still a spectacular sight. It felt surreal finally being in a place you’ve only admired through photographs. It definitely did not disappoint.

    After we rested our legs and enjoyed a coffee and gelato, we continued to the next trek to Corniglia. This trek was a lot easier with fewer steps. The guidebook said it should take 90 mins to get to Corniglia. 45 minutes later, we arrived in a pretty little town that sat high up above the waters. Must be difficult to operate as a fishing village if it sat this high up off the waters. We immediately fell for the charms of this little village. There were plenty of little shops everywhere you turn. The houses and shops were not built to a grid system. You just had to pick a little alleyway and explore it.

    We cooled down with a glass of lemonade made from local lemons grown right on the terraces that surround the villages. Refreshing! We headed for the train station to head home. At the train station, Aaron discovered to his glee that the shop sold cans of beer. He sat down on the bench, drinking his beer, while we waited for the train. Flora suspects this was his favourite part of the whole day.
    Read more