Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ferry Boat Day

    August 30, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    There were 2 things I wanted to do while in Galway. See the Aran Islands and see the cliffs of Moher. (Ty is just happy to be along for the ride).

    The Aran Islands are 3 rocky isles guarding the mouth of Galway Bay, in western Ireland. They’re known for their ancient sites.

    The Cliffs of Moher are sea cliffs at the southwestern edge of Ireland. They run for about 14 kilometres (9 miles). At their southern end, they rise 120 metres (390 ft) above the Atlantic.

    Turns out there is a tour for that. I just needed to be okay with seeing the small island. We also had to be okay with being on a bus and touring for 10 hours. A 10 hour bus tour with 52 other people sucks but this tour was worth it.

    We dragged our jet lagged asses up early to meet our 52 new friends at 8:45am and zoomed along the coastline on Wild Atlantic Way road. Okay more stopping and starting and slowing down and speedy up on the windy narrow roads then zooming. But Patrick got us to the ferry with lots of time to spare.

    After a 15 minute ride we ended up at Inisheer (Inis Oírr). Since we only had 2 hours to tour the island we needed to choose one of three options, take a horse and buggy, take a tractor and wagon or bike. I thought of biking until Pat said it was hilly, so we turned to a horse and buggy.

    Rosie was a fine steed that pulled 8 of us so we could see the sights around her island. Which contained a shipwreck and a castle. After viewing the sites we shared fish and chips by the ocean in the hot sun.

    The weather here is fantastic. I brought jeans and a sweater to wear as I assumed it would be cold be the water. Nope. Thank you global warming and for giving Ireland a hot summer.
    Read more