Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    D56 Turkey - Antalya to Konya

    August 29, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    A Snapshot of Our Day

    Photo 1 - Anthony was clearly heartbroken at the fact that we were leaving our last sea side town.

    Photo 2 - Welcome to Konya! We were told that it wasn’t an overly touristy city and that now we were heading towards the east, the locals were a lot more conservative. Our first impressions are that all good; it’s really clean and tidy, with lots of open public spaces including the main plaza with a huge mosque and park.

    Photo 3 - The entrance to the main mosque and Dervish museum. The top of the main entrance has a chain hanging across so when you enter you are forced to bow your head; a small nod in respect to God.

    Photo 4 - Despite being squished like sardines by a swelling number of Asian tour groups, we were able to admire the beautiful interior of yet another mosque. There are 7 principles of Mevlana, one of the reasons for the mosque generating interest:
    1. In generosity and helping others, be like a river.
    2. In compassion and grace, be like the sun.
    3. In concealing others’ faults, be like the night.
    4. In angry and fury, be like the dead.
    5. In modesty and humility, be like the earth.
    6. In tolerance, be like the sea.
    7. Either exist as you are, or be as you look.

    Photo 5 - A member of the Dervish sect that had the role of getting the milk, bread and Mars Bars from the shops.

    Photo 6 - A scene set out of how the Dervish men would have sat around to eat a meal. They had a particular way of sitting while they ate, with one knee underneath them and the other propped up; the theory being that the gently pressure on the stomach would prevent any potential gluttonous thoughts. Not convinced this would be an effective portion control method for me!

    Photo 7 - The beautiful back streets of Konya led us to many a clothing, jewellery and knick knacks store.

    Photo 8 - The show of the Whirling Dervishes is now free every Thursday evening and was entrancing; the meditative and controlled spinning is an act to help these men feel closer to God. I’m still amazing that no one was sick after you to 8 minutes of spinning around and around!

    Video 1 - Amazing.
    Read more