Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Geikie Gorge , Darngku

    June 15, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    After 100 years plans are currently underway to change Geikie Gorge to its traditional name of Darngku. Colonists named the gorge Geikie , after a Scottish geologist. At that time the traditional owners the Bunaba people , were still living there - their homeland. It is also a place of historical tragedy for the traditional owners, who were attacked by the colonists in the late 19th century. It is claimed by some that their remains are still hidden in the caves where they were shot and burnt.
    The Dept. of Conservation and Land Management ,
    together with the local Aboriginal cooperative respecting the traditional owners , run a tour to see and learn about Darngku. The flood waters of the massive Fitzroy River have carved the 30 meters deep gorge through the limestone at the junction of the Oscar and Geikie Rangers. The limestone ranges, formed the ancient barrier reef, wind across the country between 69 to 100 meters above the surrounding plains, in much the same way that a reef would have reared above the Devonian sea floor. Layers of fossils and limestone strata of an ancient reef are a crisscross section, showing glimpses of life in the Devonian period before reptiles and mammals evolved. The gorge is home to the freshwater Barramundi , Leichhard's sawfish and Coachwip stingray. It is also the home of freshwater crocodiles of which we saw several sunning themselves.
    Read more