Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Purnululu National Park -Bungle Bungles

    June 13, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Purnululu National Park is 304km from Kununurra. It covers an area of 239,723ha and has an adjacent conservation reserve. The Bungle Bungle Range, which includes the banded domes, covers 45,000ha of the park. Prior to the mid 1980's, the existence of the domes was known only to the local aborigines and very few whites, mostly stockmen. In 2003 this national park was World Heritage listed for two main features- the area's incredible natural beauty and its outstanding geological value.
    The Bungle Bungle Range is renowned for its amazing banded domes that make a striking sight rising up to 200 meters above the plain and giving way to reveal hidden gorges and pools. The orange and black beehive shaped domes are made of sandstone deposited about 360 million years ago. Erosion by creeks, rivers and weathering in the past 20 million years has carved out these domes, along with spectacular chasms and gorges, creating a surreal landscape.
    The dome's striking orange and grey bands are caused by the presence or absence of cyanobacteria. Dark bands indicate the presence of the cyanobacteria, which grows on layers of sandstone where moisture accumulates. The orange bands are oxidized iron compounds that have dried out too quickly for the cyanobacteria.
    Two of Purnululu's most stunning attractions - Cathedral George, aptly named due to its immense and inspiring circular amphitheatre is surrounded by towering cliffs and honeycomb type rock, and Echidna Chasm , which is a palm-fringed narrow gorge , Both are accessible by foot only.
    A definite bucket list tick off for us !
    Read more