Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Devonport

    October 24, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Arrived in Devonport at 5.30am. Waiting to disembark at 6.45am
    After a smooth crossing of Bass Strait, our initial stop was for Angela's to visit the now decommissioned Mersey Women's Hospital-this is where her Midwifery training took place back 1982 - 1983. The hospital, which has stood empty for many years, has been totally vandalized and is to be demolished soon- sad to see this happen-so many happy memories.
    We then checked out her old flat she had shared for a few months-now stands in only marginally better shape than the hospital !
    It was then breakfast at the wind swept Mersey Bluff -cold but looking out over Bass Strait a great breakfast treat !
    Our next stop was a few kilometers down the road to the township of Latrobe-Ange lived in the nurse's home for the rest of her training-the nurse's home is now part of the hospital administration offices but unfortunately off limits despite a polite request to have a look down the corridor.After a drive around the small township-including Angela's old walking track and a look at the big hill she would climb we found ourselves at the House of Anvers-a chocolate shop and chocolate Museum for a delicious morning tea - needing to tackle that exercise track that Angela's once used afterwards !!!!
    We decided to stock up on some supplies back in Devonport and visited Hill Street Grocery-a great store so inviting and everything displayed in such a way that browsing was a must. There are apparently several of these stores throughout Tasmania-originating in Hobart.
    Our next stop was to visit Simon Martin Whips and leathercraft -the smell drifting around the store was amazing and such beautiful leather goods on display -you could watch them working with the leather, crafting it into quality products in front of your very eyes.
    Our final mission for the day was to sit on the banks of the Mersey River and watch that Spirit of Tasmania commence her evening sail back to Port Melbourne.
    Read more