Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Carnarvon

    May 29, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    True to the weather forecast, it rained steadily and heavily from about 8pm last night, and lasted all night. Abated a little towards sunrise, persistent showers all day with periods of heavy downpour. It's still warm, and we're comfortable in a t-shirt and hiking pants.

    We were at Pickles Point Seafood before 9am to get the freshest seafood for our kitchen today. Got a fillet each of Perch and Red Emperor, 430g Shark Bay prawns, and 300g scallops for just over $50. Not cheap, but it was certainly fresh and tasty, something not easily obtained in Perth.

    The rest of the morning, 3 hours, was spent at Carnarvon Space and Technology Museum. It's a tribute to the significant part played by this space tracking station built in 1964 to support the Gemini, Apollo and Skylab programs. In 1966, the Overseas Telecommunications Commission (OTC) Satellite Earth Station was added as part of the global satellite communications system to support Houston's communication with the satellites, the manned and unmanned spacecrafts. Both operations closed in 1975 . It is a rather provincial exhibition, with the simulated launch into space reminiscent of the 1970s TV series Lost In Space. However, I did leave more informed, and with a sense of pride at Australia's contribution and achievement.

    Went for a drive around to the local street stalls that sold fruit and vegetables with the honesty box system. You pick your produce, then put the payment in a box provided, almost like self check out at the supermarket. Chatted a while with a lady from Kalbarri who is in Carnarvon teaching at the local high school. She said that although Kalbarri was decimated by Cyclone Seroja, the locals count their blessings that no lives were lost. I have much admiration for the tough country folk who just weather through natural disasters like drought and cyclones, count their blessings and get on with what needs to be done. I will endeavour to remember that attitude when we camp at Tulki Beach, Cape Range National Park. No promises that it'll make any difference when I'm faced with the one and only single long-drop toilet shared by goodness knows how many dozen strangers.

    Took a drive to Heritage Precinct but did not get out of the car because it was storming. Saw the little lighthouse, the shearing shed and the closed 1 Mile Jetty from the car.
    Read more