Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Sea lions in San Cristobal

    August 7, 2015 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The hostel owner drove us to the airport at 8:45am, which was literally across the main road and possibly quicker to walk than go the long way round in a car.

    After a lot of searching and asking numerous people we finally found the place to pay our $20 tax and special luggage scan that's required for the Galapagos. Then we checked in and waited in the fairly small airport.

    Our flight left just before 11am and arrived at 11:40am - Galapagos is an hour behind. After paying the $100 conservation tax and being checked for food etc we jumped in a white pick-up taxi and were driven the 5 mins to town ($2). We accepted the first place we tried, Hotel Albatross ($30), which was on the seafront and run by a crazy lady with a mad cackle.

    We went to explore in the hope of seeing a sea lion or two, our main reason for coming a day early before the cruise... by the end of the day we'd seen hundreds!!!

    We walked along the seafront and saw them on the beaches, in the sea, on rocks beside bright red crabs, on the sidewalk, on benches and under boats. We headed to Playa Mann, the closest beach for tourists (the ones by the town are fenced off for the sea lions). There were only a few people there and most of the sea lions were on the rocks or up under the shade of the trees. A few were swimming so Anna went snorkelling but soon came out cold as it had temporarily clouded over. Some bugs starting biting Anna so she ran away and we wandered along a lava trail through some cactus and arrived at a beautiful beach (La Loberia), also with only a handful of people. There were black marine iguanas and sea lions all along the thick line of black lava rocks between the sand and sea. We walked to the end where I was bitten by something which really hurt and made the whole area swell up.

    After some sunbathing we wandered back to the first beach which was now full of people and the sea lions were far more active due to it being cooler. Many had wandered up the beach and flopped down next to people. Two in particular were laid very close to a sleeping man...we happened to see him wake up and his face was a picture! Many more sea lions were in the sea and we went back in and got some great pics. The younger pups especially like to just lie and be rolled by the waves.

    Anna's rumbly tummy forced us to return back to the hotel. The sunset wasn't all that so we searched for food - not too many choices, especially if you don't eat seafood but we settled on one by the waterfront called Calypso and had pizza and burger ($25).

    Then we headed for a short night time wander and easily counted over 200 sea lions who were strewn all over the beaches and being very vocal - they sound either like they are vomiting or a strangled goat! We also walked down the jetty which was lit up and saw a group of 10 rays and more sea lions playing gracefully in the sea.
    Read more