Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Biking Trstenik, Mjlet, & Korcula

    May 14, 2019, Adriatic Sea ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Our boat docked for the third night of the tour at the small town of Trstenik with beautiful scenery, a nice beach, a few restaurants, and lots of abandoned houses from days of a fishery past. We were told that 400,000 people (10% of the population) have moved away from Croatia to the bigger cities of Europe.

    Next stop for cycling was the National Park on the island of Mljet, the most beautiful and most forested island in the Adriatic. The Park makes up most of the island, and there are two salt water lakes here along with a Benedictine monastery on the island of St. Mary. Cycling here might have been the best of our trip with little traffic, warm temperatures, and great scenery.

    That night, the boat moved on to the island of Korcula. The walled town of Korcula is called “Little Dubrovnik” because of its medieval defensive walls and towers, squares, palaces, churches, palaces, and red-roofed houses. It’s also where Marco Polo, the famous world-traveller and writer, is reputed to have been born.

    Our 5 hour bike ride today took us 58 km across the island with a very hard climb of 750 meters. (Thank God for the e-bikes!) To put that in perspective, Marble Mountain’s elevation is only 536 meters.
    Read more