Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Jajce, Bosnia and Herzegovina

    July 24, 2022 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The drive away from the city was just beautiful! The highways were lined with stunning mountains, rivers and tunnels for us to hold our breath through. Poor Seth had to suffer through intense driving on the tiny switchbacks roads, lots of exclamation point signs warning of falling rocks, speedy drivers and people who prefer to drive in both lanes instead of just their own.

    We made it safely to the city of Jajce and our home by the river for the night. This house was a two bedroom with a stone terrace out back by a river. We even had fresh red currants fresh for the picking and eating on the property! We sat out on that terrace drinking coffee enjoying the sound of the rushing water until the kids became rambunctious and ready to go exploring. Let's be real, I was ready to explore and they were busy playing.

    We experienced Turkish coffee at a nearby restaurant. I think it's my new favorite! They make a strong, thick black coffee with a sugar cube on the side to dip. They dip the sugar, bite off the dissolving portion and then sip coffee over the sugar. It was very bold in flavor, but smooth with no bitter after taste. They usually grind the beans by hand and leave a large amount of grinds in the bottom, leaving a sludge you do not drinking. We liked it! I like it best just black though.

    Next, we headed to see more waterfalls! First, we had ice cream, of course. Then we headed to check out Pliva Falls. The big girls moved as close to the edge as they could to enjoy the massive wind from the intense waters and spray off. Demi was nearly soaked. I nervously tried to help Mabel avoid the edge because the smooth marble like stone was wet and the railing did not exactly meet safety codes. Let's just say a small elephant could slip through it.

    Then we took the girls for a chilly dip in the Kupaliste Brana. It was cold enough to make the girls' teeth chatter, but not too cold to detour them from playing in it. The bigs slid down the slippery sloping falls, floated down stream with noodles and swam with all their might trying to make it back up stream. My favorite part was watching the two bigs work as a team to try to swim their hardest upstream. Sweet moment! Mabel stayed in the shallows with Seth, while I guarded the goods (really lucky to not be cold, because it is one of my least favorite things in this world). The littlest blondie mostly danced to other people's music up and down the falls. Demi mustered the courage to climb high in a tree and jump into the lake with Seth on the ground ready to catch the moment on video, but still close enough to save her. The girls played until they were too cold to play anymore. On our way home we stumbled upon some old water mills called Mlincici. Very old and very cool!

    We retired to our home by rushing river for the night and got ready to head out again to another spot in the morning.

    P.S. - It was very difficult to take pictures at the river because of the sun, but they were just so cute.
    Read more