Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 14

    A Shandy or Two

    2 de septiembre de 2022, Islandia ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    I'd booked a walking tour for this morning at 10:30, so we took it easy, had breakfast, took it a bit more easy and then headed out. I always seem to feel more tired though the less I do.

    The walking tour was really interesting, not so much the buildings and monuments but more the social history. Such as in Iceland almost everyone is related to the first settler Ingólfr Arnarson who arrived in 874 which means everyone is your cousin! So to marry someone they need to be at least a 3rd cousin or more distant. They even have a genealogy app containing everyone's family tree for you to check.

    After the walk we went for an all you can eat and drink in 2 hours lunch, which at £43 each must have been the cheapest place to eat in Iceland. Needless to say the place was pretty busy, surprisingly the food was excellent and we made a pretty good stab at getting way more than our monies worth.

    We chatted to a couple of women, Sandra and Maggie (that's the easy version of their names) on the table next to us during the lunch who then took us to a great little bar round the corner for happy hour which then stretched on into the evening. Got back to the hotel about 9pm and we still had a voucher for a commentary drink at the hotel bar. It was the last thing I needed at that point as we'd started speed drinking at 2pm, but it would have been rude to have turned down the hospitality!

    Weather: 13 degrees, sunny intervals
    Leer más