Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Herodion

    February 13, 2023 in Palestine ⋅ ☁️ 52 °F

    Herodion (or Herodium) is yet another fortress of Herod the Great. This is the Herod that Matthew describes in chapter 2, that Jesus was born in the time of Herod. He was an egomaniac, and he went to the extreme on everything he did. He was a complicated man. He was Arab ethnically, Jewish religiously (although very marginally), Greek culturally, and Roman politically.

    Herod was appointed king of the Jews. Matthew's gospel introduces the true King, the Messiah. Herod felt threatened and insecure when he heard that Jesus was born King of the Jews from the magi. It was Jesus' throne by birthright. Herod's pattern was to destroy every threat he faced. He killed two of his own sons, and now he planned to kill Jesus.

    The political threats we see around us won't stand against Jesus' authority. He is the true King.

    Herod is dead. His palaces are in ruin. His sarcophagus that is on display at the Israel Museum was found here.

    But Jesus is alive. The grave could not hold him. He is risen!

    We all face competition for loyalty to a kingdom, and we all must choose who we will serve as king.

    Lord Jesus, you are the King of all creation, and I choose to serve and follow you alone.
    Read more