Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Rest Day: Gavia, Stelvio and Mortirolo

    August 10, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    And so it begins! The hairpins and mountain passes of the Italian Alps, good thing that we woke up fresh faced and bushy tailed.

    First one to tackle after an enormous intake of coffee was Gavia Pass, notoriously steep, technical and narrow with life threatening drops on the sides but also some incredible views. We had visited this one in 2019 with the girls so had to replicate some of the photos we had taken the previous year, and of course we took some more too.

    Next stop was Stelvio Pass via Bormio for some lunch at a popular spot for bikers in the middle of a junction. Unfortunately, Vex had been making some top end noises so I popped into a little garage to top up her oil and off we went. Both replenished and ready to tackle Stelvio. It wasn’t as busy as the previous year but still as spectacular. Passes ticked off it was time to head back to base camp and a snooze. Just one little surprise pass before we got there: Mortirolo Pass seems to be famous for cycling rather than motorbikes but the views were wonderful nonetheless, even Chez started to enjoy it!

    HIGHLIGHTS - Gavia, Stelvio and Mortirolo
    LOWPOINTS - none
    ROADS - Can’t choose, all of them
    Read more