Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Rest Day: Neuschwanstein Castle

    August 14, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Day off the bikes today exploring Chez’s favourite fairytale castle on the border with Austria - Neuschwanstein.

    It is epic and incredibly beautiful but also quite sad. The architect and monarch during its building, Ludwig II was found drowned under suspicious circumstances the day after he was deposed. Many believe we was murdered along with his physician. It seems he also led quite a reclusive life, often favouring his own company and disassociating himself with his family. It seems he really did live in his own fairytale with many famous saga’s depicted on the walls of the castle including Tristan and Isolde and Sigurd.

    It was a brilliant day exploring the area with a nice horse drawn carriage to the top and a chinwag with a Romanian donut seller. It was also nice to have a day of rest from the bikes although maybe not for Chez who had to pillion my ass around, to and from the castle. That was also great fun for me though!

    Off again tomorrow and I think we’re going to forgo Switzerland in favour of exploring more of Germany as we haven’t been here before.

    HIGHLIGHTS - The whole day
    LOW POINTS - Dinner
    ROADS - none
    Read more