Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Sepilok

    April 9 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    Sepilok is about half an hour from Sandakan and was a great start to the jungle part of our trip.

    First up was the Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, where orphaned young and otherwise deserted animals are nurtured and prepared for life in the wild.

    They are the most amazing animals (mum rears her baby for up to nine years before they go out on their own) and we spent some time watching the juveniles and then the older animals feeding. They are fed only a small amount so that they will go and forage for more by themselves, and possibly become completely independent.

    Next stop was the Bornean Sun Bear Centre.

    Bornean Sun Bears have a few natural disadvantages, chiefly of which is a gall bladder that secretes bile that in some cultures is regarded as a powerful aid for libido/period pain/household cleaning.

    Then they may be captured as pets and have their claws removed, which (as the claws are bone) is excruciatingly painful and (as they rely on their claws to climb trees and dig for food) means they cannot survive in the wild.

    As sun bears eat termites, they also play an important role in keeping the trees healthy.

    In the afternoon we braved the hot sun and humidity and visited the Rainforest Discovery Centre.

    We walked high into the trees on the three hundred metre canopy walkway, constantly on the lookout for animals. For this part of the visit, though, the pickings were slim, with some distant bird sightings, two squirrels and a lizard.

    Then we waited in a large group for dusk, enjoying the slightly cooler air and the peaceful atmosphere high above the ground.

    Everyone was waiting for the red giant flying squirrels to perform their tricks. All eyes were focused on a box fastened to a tree, from where two little eyes peered out.

    Finally, he made his move, climbing out and up the tree before gliding gracefully down about thirty metres to his destination. All eyes were on him, but they had to be assisted by torches, as by this time it was quite dark. Steve was brilliant, his torch tracking the entire flight like a pro.

    Then we were taken along a series of bush tracks in search of night animals. Again, though, animals were scarce. We saw an incredibly vivid blue kingfisher, a scorpion, and a small pit viper that could easily have been stomped on; other than that it was down to lizards and stick insects for our entertainment.

    We’re now heading up the Kinabantangan River to Sukau Rainforest Lodge, for the part of our adventure.
    Read more