Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Nelson

    April 22 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Got a rather lazy start for the day. I still had some sandwitches left that meant to be consumed during the last part of the trail. Well...now they will be breakfast, and its a looot of pickles in em!
    I searched for a nice spot close by one could go and have a breakfast with a view. Turns out there was a perfect location for that looking over the hole Picton bay area. When I reached the spot besides the beatiful view there were already two guys there having breakfast. Started chatting like normal people would do and turns out they were heading Nelson and were looking for a ride. They were quite surprized when i said before leaving...'Is it ok to pick you up with the car in 30min and head to Nelson?'
    They were interesting dudes. Marlin from California with a very distinct accent and Vincent from Germany. We talked about everything but also enjoyed some silent moments. Its nice when you are able to do that with strangers. Because of these two I forgot I had some points marked along the way to Nelson that we could have checked out. It was a nice drive regardless. Weather was awesome these past few weeks. Lst rain must have been in Rotorua while biking. Seems the sun lovws the east coast and rain loves the west one!
    The tide had pulled way back and felt extreme. For many km we were watching wetsands that we coulnd believe it was due to the tide. Later i learned it is a typical thing in these parts.
    Left the two guys to continue their journey towards Abel Tasman National park, a place i also olanned to visit but things turned out differently. Went to the hostel just to realise the check in was available after 15.30 so i roamed around a bit. Went to the 'Center of New Zealand' which was nothing morw than ametal plte on an otherwise lovely hill with great bay overview (including the tide pull back).
    Then headed to a bike shop to arrange a ride for the next day. Nelson is famous for the good weather and the amazing mountain biking.I would search for a good bike this time cause i realise during the Charlotte trail that it does make a difference...big one. Lucky me and i hit the nail on the first try. Google IS your friend my friend! Nelson Gravity was an authorised dealer for Santa Cruz, Transition, Mondraker and Evil bikes...sweeeet. They were renting the Mondraker Foxy which was the aluminium verson of my dream bike and a perfect choice turns out for the local trails including the Coppermine which i planned on riding the next day. Of course the price was three times higher comparing to the GT aggtessor i had two days ago. Sorted everything checked in the lovely hostel and went out to catch the sun set over the bay. Nelson had quite a big beach right next to city center.
    After it became dark for any additional images I headed for a decent meal since it was loads of sandwitches and pasta these past few days.
    The Thai restaurant I went to presented a medium quality pad thai for my liking and the best sping rolls i ve ever tasted. All in all I felt really good and i was on my way to get some sleep cause it will be again a long day.
    Back at the hostel another German roomate (feels it is only Germans around) said that i should visit the north tip of the south island cause the beaches there are amazing. He showed me a pic and instantly i put it on the tight schedule. Abel Tasman even tough it has to be amazing it is a hiking destination and the hiking time i dont actually have. So that is also sorted, kind of cause the driving north a a well 6 hour round trip. I ll figure it out tomorroe depending how i feel after biking.
    Sleep now!
    Read more