Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Greymouth to Christchurch

    April 25 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Just by looking behind the window blinds, while still in bed, it wasn't looking good. Yesterdays ugly weather over the west coast was keep going strong and from a lazy look in the forecast it would only get worse. Dang, it is my last day and i was aimimg to drive to Christchurch through Arthurs pass which is supossed to be very scenic but i guess i wont be seeimg much. Well after loads of good days and bright sun it makes sense to have some bad weather. Last rainfall was a short tropical one while biking in Rotorua and before that it was the bad days all the way down south in Milford Sounds. Really lucky I would say! If I had two-three good raimfalls during a month in Gothenburg it would be written in the history books! And keep in mind the west cost is probably the most rainy place in New Zealand. It is what it is and I will try to stick to the initial schedule which includes a visit to Kokitika gorge further south and the go inland through Arthurs pass towards Christchurch.
    It is New Zealands national today and tomorrow will be for most people a bridge day to a long weekend. Fred was aimimg to go to Queenstown for the the small break and we discuss meeting somewhere in between so we could say goodbye. Looking at the weather they de ided to leave the next day so we can meet in Christchurch and I could spend the night there before flying back.
    And so i begun driving in the pouring rain towards the gorge.
    Driving by the coast was scary due to the high winds, the low visibility and the crazy rough sea to my side. Still it felt very exotic!Took well over an hour to get there. The road later was a silly combination of dead straight tight asphalt combined with multiple 90 degree turns. All this into perfectly flat farmlands. Endless farmlands.
    While at the gorge parking, the rain and wind were still going strong. Wore my raicoat and went to see a bit the trail map. It was suposed to be a short 15min walk to a suspended bridge with nice vies of the jade colored river. After a first attempt finding the trail I got soaked so I changed clothes into my waterproof biking shorts, took it for granted that i ll have wet clothes in my travel bag and continued with a fast pace into the right trail this time. I reached the bridge which was impressive and gave great views to the...muddy due to rain river! Bummer but expected. Roamed around a bit more so every part of me would soak well in the tropixal weather and headed into the car. Changed clothes, set the heater on max and started the final stretch of the trip. It would be a challenging driving session and you know what happens during these 'last' sessions! I was extra carefull but also i was enjoying it. The scenery, barely visible, started to change from flat to super steep with tight turns and a bit of traffic. At some point i see a guy at the roadside hitchiking...there was no second thought there. Dave was headed to Christchurch and his car broke down. Good company for this type of day. He was working in the area and gave me a proper personal tour of the area while we were covering the distance to Christchurch. The mountain pass was amazing. I cannot imagine how awesome it could be on a good day. Proper alpine scenes, tunnels waterfalls endless forests the whole package. On our way down the mountain we got out of the cloud and rainbows appeared. Everything was looking and felt great again! Well i still have a wet blob of clothes and soked shoes in the back seat that i need to figure out before the trip tomorrow.
    Reached Christchurch and met directly with Fred and Juls for late lunch. Took a strol in the city while the parked car was soaking up the suprisingly warm sun that helped dry all the wet clothes. We continued abit the chit chat at home and called it for the...last day. Not bad, not bad.
    Read more