Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15 -Small Villages Again

    September 24, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌬 68 °F

    After a hectic and busy day in London, we were off to more “off the beaten path” touring. Our main visit was to a village called Bourton-on-the-Water, considered one of the most beautiful villages in all of England. Christine and I first visited this town 15 years ago when Christine had a year job assignment in England.

    After spending some time showing Jim and Suzanne around Bourton-on-the Water, the three of us took a hike through the countryside on the footpaths to another lovely town of Lower Slaughter. During the middle ages, folks used the footpaths to travel to other towns or their garden plots. Once private land came to be the norm, the rights to walk these footpaths remained. These footpaths have been walked upon for centuries and the variety you see along them is amazing. At one point today, the footpath went straight across a wheat field. We have nothing like this in America.

    When Christine and I first visited our current base, Thame, 15 years ago, we knew it was the home of Robin Gibb, one of the brother Gibb, from the Bee Gees. Jim is so knowledgeable about pop music history. We both knew Robin had passed away 10 years ago and we found out his home was 200 yards from where we were staying. We then realized his grave was in the church cemetery between us and his house. Last evening, a community building in our street was having a dance. I walked by and they were dancing to the Bee Gees song, “Stayin Alive”. It was so ironic.

    Tomorrow will be the last day of our trip and I have a surprise for everyone.
    Read more