Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 24

    Miguel

    27 april, Spanien ⋅ ⛅ 46 °F

    Warning: HIPPA violation.

    Name: Miguel
    Age: 64.5 yrs
    Birthplace: Porto Portugal
    Current Resident: Germany (46+ yrs)
    Retired: Computer Programmer
    Husband, Father of 5, Grandfather of 5.
    Fun Fact: Only known Portuguese that hates olives.

    By now you have all met our friend Miguel. As you know, we met Miguel on the first day of our Francés Camino in the fall of 2022. We leaped frogged along the way for about two weeks together until, as natural circumstances happen on the Camino, he pulled ahead and we fell behind. We never ran into him again which made us really sad.

    Fast forward about 6 months later, Tom was able to make contact with him and reconnect. He had completed a few more Camino routes and mentioned that if we ever wanted to walk the Portuguese Camino to let him know because he would love to meet us in Porto and walk with us.

    Before we knew it, we were giving that idea some serious thought. We planned it on the calendar, purchased flights to Portugal and contacted Miguel who did the same. We were SO excited.

    It was late December or early January when Miguel let us know he had suffered a stroke and had spent the better part of a week in the hospital. He then was sent to a rehab facility in the Black Forest for extensive rehab to help him with his speech, walking, small motor skills and the overall strengthening of his right side. We kept in touch with encouraging emails and he kept apologizing for throwing a wrench in our plans. Our plans were solid, we were just so sad that they no longer included Miguel. But never the less he kept promising us he was working hard and at least going to meet us in Porto.

    About 3 weeks before our trip, Miguel still had not been cleared by the doctors to travel, let alone walk a Camino. But he insisted he was going to meet us.

    Well Miguel did meet us in Porto and was a great tour guide in his hometown. He then asked if he could walk a day or two of the Camino with us. I was a little nervous. As everyone who knows me knows, I lack the gift of caregiving and encouragement. The Camino is hard enough for me without worrying about Miguel’s (possible) limited abilities. But of course we could not deny him his request to walk with us.

    We started from the Cathedral in Porto at 7:30am on Friday April 12th. Miguel, not so secretly, had two €2 bus tickets in his pocket knowing at any time the first two days he could easily catch a bus back to the city if need be. And off we walked….

    Day 2, and on we walked….

    Over beers at the end of day 3, Miguel said, “this is the first day since December that I have not thought once about my health diagnosis or my rehab status”.

    And on we walked….

    Everyday after that, we walked and laughed, enjoyed each other’s company and celebrated our accomplishments.

    Miguel had put in long, hard hours in rehab to regain what he had lost. But what the Camino gave to him, that he was so sorely missing, was his confidence. We split off from Miguel two days before the end and took a slightly longer route. That was a perfect decision because he was wanting to do a couple days alone without us to restore his confidence even more. On April 26th he was waiting for us in Santiago having arrived the day before us. His smile said it all.

    Needless to say we adore this human and were humbled to share this journey with him. Buen Camino Miguel, or as the Portuguese say, Bom Caminha. And cheers to a long and healthy life! 🍻

    P.S. Thank you for always giving me your share of the olives ☺️
    Läs mer