Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    H-Day 14 to Trapani / Erice

    April 6, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    We've slept pretty comfortable in a seller stall next to the sea and a one way road. Traffic was like nothing after 22:00. And we have been nicely protected from the strong wind and rain. The start in the morning was still fine. On the road and cycling path directly next to the sea. But after a short while we needed to head inland to Trapani. A long and boring walk along very busy roads. Lupo has had problems with his right front leg again. And it is normally not good on rough gravel and sealed roads. He needs soft ground. But we slowly made our way further. Stopped in a gasoline station cafe only briefly. For a short part back from the road on a trail a sheep herd passed us. Normally no problem. But one of the 4 white big dogs got more aggressive to us. The sheltered just called only a little bit. You are most times alone with the situation. We managed it and soon we've been in the city. Hard to find a good way to the supermarket and back out of e city again.

    From here the first climb to Erice begins. A tourist village on a hill next to the city. Nice view from up there. We've tried to make breaks in the sun on the way up. But most times it has been just too windy. Ice cold wind. After one break we've started again and accidentally Francesco hiked next to us. A nice guy from Torino. CAI member too. We've chatted in English up the hill and enjoyed in the famous and tourist busy Pasticceria Maria Grammatico some cookies and a coffee.
    Time flied and it got even colder in the shady stony streets of Erice. One tourist shop after the other. Prices raises. So I haven't taken any photos and headed the SI down immediately. Overgrown path... Oh... Strange that the trail is not so we'll maintained at the beginning.
    Looking for a sleeping spot, I've seen on the signed map two chapels and one shelter on the way down. The chapels have been too old and not really nice. So I looked for the shelter. But I've found a donkey farm. So many paddocks with single and grouped donkeys. Brown ones and medium to taller size. Where I expected the shelter has been a big stall for further Asini. We wanted to stay somewhere there, but we've realized that in the stable are probably the male donkeys. And a female donkey escaped somehow and the males got really loud and nervous of she passed. And she did often. So we went further in the darkness and found a better spot a bit later. Finally.... Cause I realize my legs are a bit better, but Lupo needs more rest. We need to slow down and make a longer break somehow.
    Not that easy, cause shops get much less now. We'll walk more remote and the next days Easter is approaching. The rare supermarkets have will be closed I guess.

    51700 steps - 38 km
    Read more