Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9–10

    Monday evening in Belfast

    April 22 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    Our hotel is slightly on the outskirts, will do a brief tour in the morning. Then head to Ferry and on to Scotland.
    Ship building, Irish linens, ropes were largest industries in the World, when Queen Victoria appointed Belfast its City status. It was second only to London in status and commerce at the time. Defibrillators first designed and built here, now major Wind Turbine manufacturing has replaced ship building.
    We are directly across the street from the Northern Ireland Assembly (Parliament).
    After dinner walked over and just looked.
    Previously an estate , a mile drive up from gate. Acres of landscaping around with 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 mile green areas. Lots of runners , walkers, dogs out enjoying an evening.
    This morning bus tour through Belfast. The Peace Wall still exists but is open now. Separation of Catholic and Protestant areas during the Troubles, to prevent killings. The Wall has been open over 25 years with hopes to be down completely in three years.
    Two Dog Ambulances awaiting Ferry too, at least six dogs in crates being transported per each. Loads of sheep in a hauler, RVs, trucks, etc.
    Smooth ride via Ferry to Scotland.
    Read more