Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 53

    La Hueta to Orcera: May Day

    1 Mei 2023, Spanyol ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    The May Day holiday must surely have added to the number of walkers and cyclists we met on the trail today - maybe 20 or more. So far we’ve not met any other walkers with overnight size backpacks though, and only two cyclists with panniers.

    The trail to Orcera alternated between a small paved road and a narrow path through the woods. We saw some signs of last night’s half-hour of rain: mud across the road and bright green moss, plumped up by the long-awaited water. As we got closer to Orcera, we spotted the castle that towers over Segura de la Sierra (where we are going next) and three Muslim towers that we will explore while we are here.

    It was hard to leave La Hueta. Our three days there plus the two days at Puente Honda have given us a real feel for what a subsistence lifestyle in these villages must have been like. Now we are in a big town (population 2000), amazed to be back in the land of grocery stores and fast internet. No grocery stores open today though, due to the holiday, so we were lucky to find an open restaurant where we had heaping platefuls of meat, potatoes, and eggs for five euros each. No fruit or vegetables to be seen, and we speculated on how many inches of arteries we were clogging up, but consoled ourselves with the memory of the leftover red pepper we had for breakfast and our usual mandarin orange break while walking.

    Today’s Wikiloc track:
    https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/la-hueta-…
    Baca selengkapnya