Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Its a small world

    September 23, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We started the morning with a FaceTime session with the grandsons. The current generation of under 10’s are so at ease with modern technology. Having grown up in the era of iPhones and iPads they handle these devices so casually and our FaceTime sessions are great, allowing us to stay in contact from across the world. Our eldest grandson has just got his own email account so he can follow our blog and he regularly sends brief email messages usually of one word followed by a dozen emoticons. I think his parents will need to keep an eye on his inbox as he is already getting spam from unknown senders.
    Through social media MDW received a message from one of her cousins who just happened to be in Dublin for a couple of days. It was arranged to meet at the Jameson Whiskey Distillery at 10:45am. Being so efficient we arrive about 9am, not much is open, even in the main tourist area, as it is Sunday but we do find a very trendy coffee shop which provides some warmth away from the 3 or 4 degrees it was outside. We are directed to a table for two where we squeeze into chairs trying not to bump into other coffee drinkers. We share a fruit scone, butter and the best homemade raspberry jam. No cream available but the scone is great. The service is incredibly efficient and before we know it we have only filled in 30 minutes. Before heading towards the distillery for the Whiskey tour we use the ammenities then walk to Bow Street enjoying the little bit of warmth from the morning sunshine. We are still 45 minutes early but we walk through the entry hoping to find some where to wait. MDW’s cousin and wife were already waiting for us and suggested we sit down for coffee. We said “good idea” even though we had not long had one. Our bladders were copping a hiding but before the tour started we found the toilets. The tour was skilfully run by a young Irishman who had an encyclopaedic mind about American sporting trivia. He asked who is from the USA which is where the majority of people came from. He asked each couple what state they were from and he would name the main sporting teams from that state. When it came to Australians, there were the four of us and disappointingly he didn’t ask what state we were from. His sporting trivia about Australia was that Ireland beat Australia in a rugby test series and got a cup. He was ready with his New Zealand All Blacks knowledge bu5 no kiwis on this tour. His amusing sporting anecdotes filled in a good 20 minutes before we got into the history and how whiskey is made. Towards the end of the tour we could taste test three different shot glasses full of whiskey. It wasn’t compulsory but I felt it was something I needed to do to increase my knowledge of Irish whiskey. MDW offered me hers but having 3 whiskeys at 11:30am was enough. After the completion of the tour we had a whiskey, ginger ale and lime. We sat at one of the tables with MDW finding the stools a challenge to get on as they were quite high. Completing the drink we headed to St Michans where they have crypts and other ghoulish items on display. Disappointingly it was locked up so we had lunch at The Brazen Head, supposedly the oldest pub in Dublin. It was jam packed but the food was good as was the company. Tomorrow we pick up the hire car and head to the Wild West Coast. This will be a test for MDW as it is all about the scenery with The Giants Causeway our first destination.
    Read more