Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Awesome Seafood Dinner

    January 24 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    Another day of taking it easy. Doing some laundry, getting some supplies. Getting computer work done and our usual pool time.

    We decided to hit a place we’d seen reviewed by a YouTuber by the name of Mark Wiens. I’d love to be able to fund my travelling the way he does; millions of people watch him eat his way around the world. Actually, come to think of it, I prefer the other side of the camera.

    We are early evening diners. It turns out the rest of Malaysia isn’t. Our Grab driver seems as hesitant as we are when we arrive at the designated address. He gets out of the car with us to make sure the place is open before driving off.

    We have no idea what is on the menu board. I stand phone in hand attempting to figure out what “jehanuk” and “udung” are, among a dozen other choices. “Sotong” I know, squid. But everything else is a complete mystery. A young couple join us at the counter and help us figure out a few things. We grab a bowl and proceed to add the items we want I to it. A largish whole fish and two very large prawns. We don’t know if the prices are per item or by weight and fear we are in for a very large bill.

    We take a table then I go and get us a couple of drinks, apple asam boi, which Google advises is apple juice with a dried salty plum that is apparently refreshing and thirst quenching.

    A young guy comes to ask if we want plain rice or nasi lemak. We opt for plain and he plonks two bowls of chilli in front of us.

    The food arrives and it looks sensational. The fish has been butterflied, cooked with a mild chilli paste and covered with a banana leaf to keep it warm. The prawns are served whole in the shell with a skewer through the length. Everything has been cooked over flame. A fantastic meal, the whole lot came to less than $30. I was still trying to figure out what the fish was (because I’m hopeless and don’t know one from another) and again with google’s assistance found out it was sea bass or barramundi.
    Read more