Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Tokyo, Japan

    October 16, 2018 in Japan ⋅ 20 °C

    The bullet train whizzed right on through to Tokyo.
    After arriving, we took the Tokyo Metro and walked across a bridge to our guesthouse. We took a nice walk to the Tokyo Sky Tree that was close to our guesthouse, we didn’t go up, but we explored some quirky stores, including the Pokemon store, which was amazing!
    The first day we explored the imperial palace grounds, walked through a financial district, and took photos at the Tokyo Metro. We went to the Akhibara district, which is famous for maid cafes, video games, and, of course, anime! Lots of neon lights popping out as far as the eye can see!
    For the next day, we took a train across Tokyo to the Municipal Government building. Ugh, why would you go there? For a free view from the top of course! We waited in line and went to the North observatory and had a nice aerial view of Tokyo.
    Afterwards, we walked through quiet neighbourhoods with vending machines and long deserted children’s swing sets. The slight eeriness crept away as we found Meiji Jingu. A Shinto shrine located in a beautiful forest park. From there, we walked through Hirajuku district, and off to Shibayu district. We took videos and photos of the busiest X-shaped cross street in the world. Finding our legs with incredible heaviness, a local Japanese man helped us get to Tokyo tower. It was a small version of the Eiffel tower. We took nice photos, and had to call it a day from there. But we did find a vending machine restaurant, where we could order Ramen and then sit down. It is considered polite to slurp your noodles as that implies you are enjoying the meal! So we slurped away, and listened to other slurps, it was a slurping good time. 
    The last day, oh so sad! We went up the Tokyo Sky Tree in the morning! We had a wonderful 360 degree view of Tokyo and took lots of photos while zooming in with the binoculars! Afterwards, we visited one of the oldest temples in the Asakusa district (where we stayed) and took many photos. This temple was called Senso-ji, which is a Buddhist temple. Senso-ji also has a Shinto shrine as well as a pagoda. According to legend, two fisherman found a statue in the water, and from then on devoted the area to Kannon the Goddess of Mercy. The entrance way is paved with many Japanese stores, and the melon cakes were mouth watering just to look at!
    Read more