Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    Taormina

    February 21 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    The town of Taormina, located on a plateau above the Sicilian east coast, developed into a preferred travel destination in Sicily thanks to the picturesque view of Mount Etna and the offshore island of Isola Bella, the numerous sights and the mild climate even in winter.

    So winter is ideal for visiting. Then the city is not crowded at all, the streets are almost empty as well as the stores and there is space in every coffee and restaurant.
    Actually we planned to go up the hill by cable-car but it was closed since it was under revision. So we drove up by car and parked in the parking garage , where we easily found a spot.

    The Siculians settled on Monte Tauro before the Greek colonization, and friendly relations were maintained with the Greek colonists in neighboring Naxos. After the destruction of Naxos by the tyrant Dionysius I of Syracuse in 403 BC. Their residents were absorbed into the city, which was given the Greek name Tauromenion. The city later came under the rule of Syracuse until the Romans took control of Sicily with the First Punic War.

    The main town of Taormina, straggles along a hillside, 2 km up a hairpin road from the coast.
    Above the main town, Via Leonardo da Vinci continues to zigzag upwards, to Sanctuario Madonna della Rocca and the castle. And on it climbs, to end at the hilltop village of Castelmola.
    The name "Taormina" is also loosely applied to the strip along the coast road below, notably to the railway station Taormina-Giardini-Naxos. Taormina town limits include the beach area of Mazzaro at the foot of the cable-car, and the tip of the peninsula where Via Pirandello starts its climb.

    I already knew Taormina, but the other three didn't and the city is definitely worth a day trip, especially in winter.
    Read more