Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Sendero Tres Amigos - Rio Arillo

    April 21 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    When I cycled to Punta del Boquerón I took a longer way through Bahía de Cádiz Natural Park to get a closer look at the nature and the birds. In any case the way leads over the Arillo River, a channel which separates the island of León from the island of Cádiz, consequently separating the municipal areas of the cities of Cádiz and San Fernando. Due the detour I took me 1.5 hours to arrive.

    So Arillo River is part of the Bahía de Cádiz Natural Park, a protected natural area since 1989 that extends across 10,522 hectares. It extends through the municipalities of Cádiz, San Fernando, Puerto Real, Chiclana de la Frontera and El Puerto de Santa María. It includes marshes, beaches, pine forests, sandy areas and scrub areas. Being located in a passage area for birds between Doñana and the Strait of Gibraltar, it serves as a habitat for certain unique species such as little terns, stilts and avocets.

    I went with the bike around the Río Arillo area which constitutes 25% of the humid system of the Bay of Cádiz .

    The canal can be accessed through a path that starts from the Camposoto highway. Within the natural park of the Bay of Cádiz , it is surrounded by marshes and lagoons. Some bird viewpoints stand out along the way.

    An awesome area for bird observation 😍.
    Read more