Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Tortilla de camarones

    April 26 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Tortillas de camarones are shrimp fritters and a speciality from Cádiz. They are made of wheat flour, chickpea flour, water, onions, chives, parsley, shrimp, salt and pepper. The batter is then fried on both sides in a pan with plenty of olive oil.

    Since I hadn't eaten them yet, I had to make up for it today on my last afternoon here. So I suggested to my Spanish teacher that instead of the afternoon lesson we go to the market together and learn (and eat) Spanish food and dishes.

    That worked very well, only when ordering the Andalusian beer I had to repeat 🤪.

    I actually thought that all tortillas were made with potatoes, but that's not the case. Tortillas de camarones are very thin and very crispy and don't resemble tortillas de patatas at all.

    100g shrimp
    100g wheat flour
    50g chickpea flour
    1.5 glass of water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    chive
    fresh parsley
    onion
    olive oil to fry the tortillas

    Pour the two flours into a medium bowl. Chop the onion very finely and add it to the bowl. Chop the parsley and chive and add one or two tablespoons to the bowl.

    Finally add salt, pepper and water. Mix well with a fork, it should be a fairly liquid mixture.

    Take a large frying pan or better a paella pan. Fill it with olive oil (a finger's worth of oil) and heat it up.

    When the oil is very hot (but not smoking) add a ladle of the mixture. Let it cook on one side and then flip until golden brown on the other.
    As you take out the shrimp omelettes, place them on absorbent kitchen paper so that they absorb excess fat.

    ¡Me gustan! ❤️
    Read more