Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Tintagel Castle

    March 4, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    We were up early enough to do some washing and have showers 🚿 before checking out of Ayr Campsite. We then drove 90 minutes or so to visit Tintagel Castle 🏰.

    We parked up and had our picnic lunch before heading off on our visit. We managed to set off in the wrong direction and ended up on the wrong headland looking at the castle in the distance!! We had to retrace our steps and then begin the long descent to the castle entrance, knowing we would have to climb back up the very steep slope later! It was worth it, though! 😀

    Tintagel Castle is a medieval fortification located on the peninsula of Tintagel Island in North Cornwall. It was settled during the early medieval period, when it was probably one of the seasonal residences of the regional king of Dumnonia. A castle was built on the site by Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, in the 13th century. It later fell into disrepair and ruin.

    Archaeological investigation into the site began in the 19th century as it became a tourist attraction. In the 1930s, excavations revealed significant traces of a much earlier high status settlement, which had trading links with the Mediterranean world during the Late Roman period. Two digs in 2016 and 2017 at Tintagel Castle uncovered the outlines of a palace from the 5th or early 6th century (the early medieval period), with evidence of writing and of articles brought in from Spain and from the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea.

    The castle has a long association with legends related to King Arthur. This was first recorded in the 12th century when Geoffrey of Monmouth described Tintagel as the place of Arthur's conception in his mythological account of British history, Historia Regum Britanniae.

    Tintagel Castle is owned by William, Prince of Wales as part of the landholdings of the Duchy of Cornwall. It is managed by English Heritage, so we were able to get in for free having joined at St Mawes Castle.

    The scenery around the castle ruins is truly spectacular, even on a dull day. I'm just glad it wasn't windy as there were lots of uneven steps and very few handrails!
    Read more