Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    A visit to Greyfriars

    March 14, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    From the cathedral, we walked to Friar Street to visit Greyfriars, a National Trust property. This part of Worcester has a plethora of Tudor half-timbered buildings. It is very picturesque. Who knew?? 😀

    You can only visit Greyfriars on an organised tour. Luckily, there was one starting within ten minutes of our arrival - and there were spaces on it!!

    Greyfriars is a remarkable specimen of a timber-framed town house. It was built for Thomas Grene in the 1480s. Since then, it has been the home of well-connected Royalists who helped protect King Charles II in the Civil War; it was the site of butchers, bakers, and leather makers; and in the 20th century, it became the subject of a long-running battle to save Worcester's heritage. It ultimately ended up in the hands of siblings Elsie and Matley Moore, who helped save this remarkable building from destruction and left their distinctive mark in every room. Today, Greyfriars and its neighbouring buildings provide the opportunity to walk in a street that hasn't changed much since the late Middle Ages.

    Our guide, Karen, was brilliant! She had so many stories about the people associated with Greyfriars down the years. She really brought the place to life.
    Read more