Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 206

    A bus ride to Thornton-le-Dale

    26 de abril, Inglaterra ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    We had a leisurely breakfast and then went to catch the bus 🚌 into Whitby to get the 11.16 Coastliner service across the North Yorkshire Moors to Thornton-le-Dale. This bus route continues all the way to York and on to Leeds and is billed as the most scenic bus route in England. We meant to do it when we were living and working in York, but never quite got round to it!

    The scenery was certainly spectacular, even if the weather wasn't the best.

    We got off in Thornton-le-Dale, a picture postcard village full of thatched cottages and pretty gardens. A stream, the Thornton Beck, meanders along the streets and is crossed by several bridges.

    The most famous building in the village is Beck Isle, also known as Thatched Cottage. Grade II-listed, it was built in the 17th century and extensively modified in the 20th. It has appeared on numerous calendars and chocolate boxes over the years.

    We thoroughly enjoyed our walk around the village. Luckily, the rain held off. We were amazed by the swathes of wild garlic growing everywhere. The scent was incredible!
    Leia mais